Cemeteries 1845 – 1872

The Formal cemetery has the remains of those who lived on the island between the 1840's & 1870's.
The formal cemetery within the low walls surrounding the Garrison Church is called the Garrison Church cemetery and dates back to the Infirmary period. It has the graves of two prominent people of that time, Dr Edmund Williams who served as the Surgeon Superintendent for a period of 10 years, from 1862 to 1872 and the Reverend Lehmann, a Moravian missionary who accompanied the first group of people with leprosy that was taken to the Island in 1845.
Earlier maps of the Island show the existence of another cemetery in the area where the Transport Depot is currently located.
The Garrison Church.

Tour Details

Weather

Cape Town
19°
Fair / Wind
05:2719:44 SAST
Feels like: 19°C
Wind: 47km/h S
Humidity: 50%
Pressure: 1014.22mbar
UV index: 3
SunMonTue
20/15°C
20/16°C
21/15°C


Tours

South Africans
R400 per adult
R210 per child (U/18)

Non South Africans
R600 per adult
R310 per child (U/18)

Tour Times
09:00  |  11:00  |  13:00  15:00


BOOK A TOUR

x