The Leprosarium cemetery dates back to the 1800s when people with leprosy were banished to the Island between 1846 and 1931. Many of these people who died on the Island were buried in this graveyard which is north of the Church of the Good Shepherd. It is believed that this cemetery extended to the site of the MSP. This fact is based on the human bones found there in the 1960s when its trenches were being dug. The area of the Leprosarium graveyard which can be seen today and is enclosed by mesh fencing, is just part of the graveyard. People from the General Infirmary who died from other illnesses were also buried in this cemetery.