A new settlement was built in 1806-8 at the southern end of the Island to accommodate the British prison. By 1833 this settlement included a large house for the Commandant, soldiers barracks, oversees’ houses, a bakery, butchery, smithy, workshops and prison accommodation for about 200 prisoners. A doctor’s residence and parsonage were added in the early 1840s.
The Garrison Church was built in 1841 and the Dutch Reformed Church Parsonage in 1894. The lighthouse was built on Minto’s Hill in 1864, after the wreck of the ‘Forfarshire’ vessel. Three jetties were built on the eastern shores of the Island. The first two were washed away by stormy seas while the third known as Faure Jetty was used for over 50 years. This jetty still exists today.