Settlement 2000 – now

The village precinct.
None of the buildings from the Dutch period are intact today although there are a few visible remains close to the eastern shoreline and in the northern garden area. The Church of the Good Shepherd is the only remaining building of the Leprosaria period and the WW2 structures are in various states of disrepair. Most of the East Coast remains undeveloped. A perimeter road encircles the whole Island and there are link roads between various sections of the Island.
The airstrip and helipad remain in the interior of the Island. The current Administration Block situated on the northern part of the Island formed part of the male leprosarium in the 1800s and was used during WW2 and serves as the prison headquarters during the prison period.
The Current Admin Block.
The Governors House as it is today.
Faure Jetty as it is today.
The village with its clubhouse, playground, swimming pool, etc; governors house; Faure Jetty; Murray’s Bay Harbour; the Medium and Maximum Security Prisons, Robert Sobukwe’s house, graveyards including the kramat and the 2 Churches – some recently renovated and others not – remain part of the Island’s built environment and cultural landscape of today.
The Kramat as it is today.

Tour Details

Weather

Cape Town
18°
Cloudy
05:2819:41 SAST
Feels like: 18°C
Wind: 16km/h NW
Humidity: 73%
Pressure: 1013.21mbar
UV index: 1
ThuFriSat
21/16°C
18/15°C
19/15°C


Tours

South Africans
R400 per adult
R210 per child (U/18)

Non South Africans
R600 per adult
R310 per child (U/18)

Tour Times
09:00  |  11:00  |  13:00  15:00


BOOK A TOUR

x